Aberdeen's oldest funeral establishment dates back before the City of Aberdeen was incorporated. Mr. Henry Tarring, a native of Port Deposit, moved to Aberdeen and in 1880 joined Mr. Ringgold Fletcher in the undertaking business. They operated for a short time as Fletcher-Tarring. In 1890, Mr. Tarring also entered the hardware business at the corner of Bel Air Avenue and South Parke Street.

Mr. Tarring's Sons, Leroy, John and Oscar joined their father in the funeral business and in 1918 the name of the business changed to Henry Tarring and Sons. After their father's death, John Tarring operated the funeral business and his brothers, Leroy and Oscar operated the hardware store. After the hardware business was sold, Oscar joined brother John.

In 1953 construction began on the new and spacious facility at its present location of 333 S. Parke Street, at a cost of $35,000, and opened for business in 1954. Oscar Tarring passed away in 1968, leaving one son Robert. John Tarring who was in his 80's, passed away in 1970. Having no children, he left the business to his nephew Robert Tarring. Ken Cargo and Webster Macomer worked for the Tarrings for many years and were partial share holders in the firm. Mr. Macomer passed away in 1984 and, in 1989 Mr. Cargo purchased Robert's holdings in the firm adding his name to the marquee.

The original funeral parlor building was occupied for many years by Frank's Barber Shop with Windward Associates occupying the 2nd floor. The building is now the location of Tom's Barber Shop and the Aberdeen Coin Gallery. As you can see looking at the front of the building, the Coin Gallery is in the area that was originally the garage.

© Tarring-Cargo Funeral Home | Aberdeen, MD - Funeral Home Website Design By Frazer Consultants, LLC & TA

Privacy Policy & Terms of Use | Accessibility